The history of the St. Nicholas Parish Council begins with a man by the name of Luke Pinchak. The celebration of the first Divine Liturgy was held in Mr. Pinchak’s home by the Rev. John Kochuroff. He encouraged the people to build a small chapel and to organize a lodge of the Russian Orthodox Catholic Mutual Aid Society. Among the first members in the lodge were Luke Pinchak, Vasil Hwastiak, Roman Padley, and Max Tarnowsky. They decided to build a church and purchased three lots on a corner in Joliet. These four men could be considered the first St. Nicholas Parish Council. They along with the parishioners made the decisions concerning the building and establishment of the church.
The Parish Council has evolved over the past 100 years. It has gone from four men who had such a strong faith and desire to bring Orthodoxy to Joliet, to a council in 1957 that consisted of a president, 1st vice president, 2nd vice president, treasurer, assistant treasurer, financial secretary, assistant financial secretary, recording secretary, and assistant recording secretary. An envelope recording secretary and an assistant envelope recording secretary along with auditors and trustees were added to the council in the mid-1960s. In early 1980s, some assistant positions on the Parish Council were eliminated. Today, the Parish Council consists of a president, 1st vice president, 2nd vice president, treasurer, and secretary. The Parish Council has always been led by a caring and dedicated priest.
The officers of the Parish Council both past and present had the same goals that provide leadership in making the best decisions in the day to day workings of the church and to have the foresight to look to the future to continue to promulgate the Orthodox faith.